Sunday, March 22, 2015

Sunday: Consumption


Starting No Impact Week, I was excited to see what I could learn from the project this time around.  I did No Impact Week last year around the same time for a different class and learned a lot about my habits and how detrimental they can be over time.  Today, cutting out consumption wasn’t too hard, which I remember from last year as well.  I don’t buy “things” too often, and when I do it’s usually food or something I really need.  I chose to spend the day in my apartment hanging out with friends and not really going anywhere to make sure I didn’t spend any money buying things I didn’t need.  I remember this day being the easiest the last time I did No Impact Week because I like to sit and reflect on everything I already have.  I did this today, and felt very grateful to have even basic necessities that other people do not.  It’s hard not to take everyday things for granted, but a project like this really opens your mind to be more aware of how life could be.  I actually wrote down a list of material items I have that I use everyday, and tried to see what I could cut out of my normal routine.  This helped me realize that people have much less than I do and are still able to live their life, so I am perfectly capable of giving up some of these things as well.  This was a great way to start out the week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment